So “the office bod”. Have you heard this phrase lately? I keep hearing it everywhere. “The office bod”. You know, the body that those who work in an office setting get when they sit at their desk all day, munch on midday snacks, order out with coworkers, yada yaya yada. I suppose it was only a matter of time before “the office bod” became a thing.
In all honestly, I don’t really know why this type of “body” needs to be given a name. Maybe it’s just me but I think the phrase “office bod” is a little bit insulting and it certainly doesn’t make me feel good. As soon as I heard it my mind went, “Oh god… am *I* gaining weight? I definitely am. Does working in an office all day make me lazy? I should probably eat less through the day. I should probably work out more.” Generally very negative/obsessive thoughts.
Needless to say, I’m not a fan of this phrase. While I do make an effort to make healthy choices and stay active through the day, I’ve still definitely noticed a difference in my body as a result of working a 9-5 office job. But, I know that that’s natural for anybody. Does that mean the media needs to coin it as “the office bod”? Probably not. More than anything I think it should be about making your day as healthy as possible, without it being about the need to avoid the dreaded “office bod”. Healthy in both the physical and mental sense. Yes, sitting in an office all day *might* make you gain weight, but it can also be detrimental to your bones and joints, straining on your eyes, and emotionally/mentally exhausting.
Once I started my new position about 2 months ago, I really made an effort to have a healthier, more active 9 to 5 and I truly have noticed a difference, both in my physical state and mental state. I know I’m no expert, but here are some of my tips and tricks, not on combating “the office bod,” but simply on having a happier and healthier 9 to 5!
- Healthy, At Home Breakfast – I simply just can’t go without a leisurely breakfast. I make sure to wake up a half hour earlier simply so I can have a half hour to relax and eat something tasty. I definitely don’t think this is everybody’s cup of tea. So many of my friends prefer to sleep in a little longer and have a quick breakfast on-the-go, or, have breakfast items stashed in their desk. Only one time did I ever bring my breakfast with the intent of eating it at my desk. It made my day drag. I just need a slow breakfast in a comfy place to start the day off right, so that’s what I do!
- Infused Waters – Everyday I bring a bottle of water to work, but in the past I’ve found it hard to get through it, let alone through refills. Since, I’ve started infusing water to make it more enticing and it truly has helped! Staying hydrated through the day helps me to feel awake, energized, and motived. Some of my favorite infusions include cucumber and mint, grapefruit and rosemary, cantaloupe, lemon, and lime. I try to switch it up everyday, just to add variety and ~*excitement*~.
- Stretch Breaks – Ah, streeeeettttchiiing! Stretching through the day is probably my favorite little “secret”. Every hour or so I take a one to three minute stretch break. This allows me to wake up a bit, ease any muscle or joint tension I might be feeling, and clear up any mental roadblocks I may be facing. Check out this office yoga video I found a while ago which has introduced me to some of my now favorite stretches!
- Homemade Lunches – A few of my coworkers do order out almost every single day. Even if they extend an offer to order with them or run out for lunch, I politely decline. Preparing my lunch the night before not only saves me money, but also allows me to make healthier decisions. Sure, if there’s ever day I do want to join them, I do. But I definitely avoid making it a habit!
- Walking Breaks – I’m lucky enough to have an hour long lunch break and a nearby park, making it fairly easy to make walking breaks a daily habit. For lunch, I typically meet my boyfriend at the park, we take about 15 minutes to eat and then we use the rest of our time walking. If there ever is a day when I’m particularly busy and can’t really afford to take the full hour, I still do take a quick 15 minute walk around the parking lot of my building. It helps me stay active, work the muscles that have been sitting still all day, and helps to clear my mind and get my eyes off the glaring computer screen.
- Healthy Snacks – At first I was like, if I don’t pack snacks, I won’t be tempted to snack. However, around 10:30 my stomach starts to growl and eventually, I would lose total focus. After recognizing that lack in focus, I started to stock my desk with healthy snacks such as almonds and dried fruit. If I notice myself drifting off or feel my stomach growling, I have a small handful and get back to work.
- A Home Away from Home – This one isn’t so much about physical health, but more so mental health and happiness. In my mind, there’s nothing worse than a bland, boring desk. I like to have my workspace lined with photos, a plant or two, coffee mugs, and other little knick-knacks. It certainly makes a boring gray cubical a bit more inviting and definitely helps me stay motived through the day.
With all that being said, let’s chat!
- What are your thoughts on “the office bod”?
- Do you have any tips and tricks to ensure a healthier, happier 9-5?
- What is your go-to workday lunch? Any go-to snacks?